Date: March 5th, 2005

FoF½

I’ve been busy:

It’s getting there!

21 Comments

1. March 5th, 2005
    REPLY))

2. So um, out of curiosity, did you refactor your code to combine the frame and the non-frame templates before you embarked on this? Because if not, I have that refactoring sitting on disk if you’re interested.

Tags are a good idea, and was one of the things that I was going to implement had the code been a little more … in one place. Also, I’d suggest you implement “folders” for feeds by allowing the user to tag each *feed* and view new items within a tag.

1F

3. stevesteve
    March 5th, 2005
    REPLY))

4. I’ve done pretty significant refactoring. All the DB stuff is now in one file, even more of the “logic” has been pulled out of the front-end files and they are now focused solely on display. There’s the beginning of a plug-in system so if people need to make hacks they can just write plugins instead of hacking the code directly. The PHP “API” is now much easier to use, and there’s the beginning of a web-service API as well, right now just used by the front-ends to do things like tag items and refresh the feed list without requiring a page-load.

But I haven’t combined those templates, in fact, I’m sort of going in the opposite direction! I’m trying to really clearly seperate the back-end from the front-end(s) to make it much easier for new front-ends to be developed and distributed.

Yes, I had that same idea, tagging a feed will tag all the items within that feed, and you’ll be able to view unread items by tag.

2F

5. March 5th, 2005
    REPLY))

6. When can us plebes start playing with it! :)

3F

7. stevesteve
    March 5th, 2005
    REPLY))

8. Once it’s getting close to done I’ll have a beta release for people who want to help test and find and fix bugs. Right now there’s a few minor missing things, like an installer, and a screen to add users. Watch this space!

4F

9. March 5th, 2005
    REPLY))

10. Steve, do you know if a fix to this ever worked its way out of the murk? I know it’s clearly a Mozilla bug, and one that the folks there don’t seem to keen on fixing, but it’d be nice to find a workaround!

5F

11. stevesteve
    March 5th, 2005
    REPLY))

12. No, that workaround has never been integrated with FoF. I’ll try to do that before the next version.

6F

13. March 5th, 2005
    REPLY))

14. Well then it sounds like I should doing the mod I was planning on doing to the feed viewer.

Next question, though: are you implementing an “external viewer” (load item in a frame with fof controls on the top, a la ask.com or most image searches)? Because I’ve got that mostly implemented, too. ;-)

7F

15. March 5th, 2005
    REPLY))

16. Oh man “Logged in as…”

Sweet, very very sweet.

8F

17. stevesteve
    March 6th, 2005
    REPLY))

18. Benjy: Nope, I hadn’t thought of doing that.

9F

19. SivanSivan
    March 16th, 2005
    REPLY))

20. What are the tags used for?

10F

21. stevesteve
    March 16th, 2005
    REPLY))

22. Whatever you like. You could tag your 10 favorite feeds as “favorites” and then view items with that tag first. Or you could have “work” and “personal” feeds. You could even write a plugin that tags items as they come in based on content!

11F

23. somedudesomedude
    March 18th, 2005
    REPLY))

24. Will you support multiple keywords per tag?

For example, you have ‘chinese’ as a tag in your screenshot — will you allow filtering for a single tag (chinese) with use of ‘chinese’ and ‘chinaese’?

Sorry, that is a poor example, but hope it illustrates what I mean – to include similar words and misspellings.
    Thanks

12F

25. stevesteve
    March 18th, 2005
    REPLY))

26. Sounds like something you’d reasonably expect to be there. But since you’re creating the tags yourself, why would there by a mis-spelling?

13F

27. somedudesomedude
    March 18th, 2005
    REPLY))

28. Must not understand the tags. I’ll be patient. :) Thanks for the response.

14F

Feel like ending the plebians’ suffering? ;)

15F

29. stevesteve
    May 12th, 2005
    REPLY))

30. I’ve been going through a somewhat thorny patch at my day job, sorry. You’ll have to suffer through 0.1.9 for while longer before I’ll allow you to sample the exquisitely excruciating pain of an 0.5 beta release.

16F

31. JamesJames
    July 3rd, 2005
    REPLY))

32. Plenty of beta testers available…. please crank that handle :-)

James

17F

33. July 18th, 2005
    REPLY))

34. Any chance the tag will be something that works with reblogging? I didn’t see a “published” link in the upper left frame.

18F

35. stevesteve
    July 24th, 2005
    REPLY))

36. I was thinking of implementing reblogging as a plugin, seperate from the tagging system.

19F

37. July 26th, 2005
    REPLY))

38. Just as long as reblogging is in there! =)

However, it might be nice to make it part of the tagging system since one could want to reblog more than one kind of feed. Just taking your above example, one might want create a Chinese feed, a comics feed, etc. By just making the tagged category “rebloggable” (a checkbox somewhere?) will make it more flexible that it is now. Plus it will keep the interface from getting cluttered with yet another checkbox for each article. Instead, just tag the article with some category that is being reblogged.

So…plugins, you say? Anything else that you have planned for plugins? Love the addition of login capability!

20F

39. January 25th, 2006
    REPLY))

40. So is it ready yet? ;-) No pressure…

21F