Date: January 22nd, 2005
Cate: Meta
Tags:

Upgrades

Fixed the category pages, fixed the word of the day archive, fixed the word of the day quiz (try it! it’s fun!), removed some non-working links from the sidebar.

I also found this 2004 todo list. How did I do?

• Get Master’s degree – DONE!
  • Go on big huge vacation – DONE!
  • Upgrade to WP1.0 – DONE! – even better, I’m at 1.2!
  • Enhance word of the day – not done.
  • Spam filtering – not done. Back on b2 I had a Bayesian spam filter which was working really well. When I upgraded to WP, it seemed I didn’t need it since the built in spam filtering was so good. That only lasted a few months. I’m told that WP1.5 has recalibrated the deflector harmonics or whatever to completely defeat current-generation spambots. We’ll see.
  • Feed on Feeds – release 0.2 – not done, I’m only at 0.1.9. But, I’ve released all sorts of features I hadn’t even thought of back then, like Atom, I18N, CSS and frames, and better SSL and HTTP authentication support.

6 Comments

1. January 24th, 2005
    REPLY))

2. I’m a devited FoF user, and I can say that from my outlook, the backroom stuff doesn’t matter to me nearly as much as the frames. The only thing interface-wise that I find myself wanting now is to be able to group various feeds.

Something that programmers and designers (I’ve done some Director stuff but no real programming) is that 90% of your users will never change the default settings. Hell, something like half the people on the internet have never scrolled a web page.

1F

3. stevesteve
    January 24th, 2005
    REPLY))

4. There would be lots of applications of grouping or categorization or tagging or however you want to look at it. That should really be the next thing I do.

Just today I was exchanging email with somebody who made a special verison of FoF for use on a mobile device. I said “sounds cool! can I take a look at the code?” and he said “sure, but I only look at a subset of my feeds on my mobile, and I had to hard-code that list in since you are too lazy and/or stupid to put in categories”. Just kidding, actually he was very nice.

2F

5. ArnsteinArnstein
    January 25th, 2005
    REPLY))

6. Categories is defenitely something that would make this user super-happy. Assigning feeds to many categories would be nice, but having the opportunity to point my browser to http://www.mysite.net/fof/cat1 or cat2 (in frames-view) would be unbelievably good and satisfying. FoF is simple, easy and super – it’s got all i’ve needed so far – giving me an excellent way to follow a lot of cool sites I wouldn’t have time to follow otherwise. No if I only had categories, I’t be watching even more feeds (not that i have the time…).
    That, and an easier way to set a password on the admin-functions. :-)

3F

7. stevesteve
    January 25th, 2005
    REPLY))

8. You’re right, forcing the poor user to muddle around with .htaccess files or whatever the mechanism is on their server is lame. Even lamer is asking them to figure out cron! I wish there were an easier way to schedule tasks.

4F

9. January 25th, 2005
    REPLY))

10. Actually, the updated chron instructions were spot on for me. And if they have cpanel or something similar with the webhosting, controlling access is dirt simple.

5F

11. Bert RodiersBert Rodiers
    February 5th, 2005
    REPLY))

12. Maybe this is a valid alternative for cron: http://www.bitfolge.de/pseudocron-en.html

6F