Date: March 7th, 2003
Cate: Regular
Tags:

Hero Tattoo (with nine dragons)

The guys came over the other night and we watched Hero Tattoo with Nine Dragons, or 九紋龍 – I think. Let me tell you, that is one fine quality movie.

And it turns out to be based on another of those Chinese classic novels, this one is called The Water Margin (水滸傳), written around 1300. In that novel, there are 36 heroes and 72 demons, each with a special quality or fault. The movie focuses on Shi Jin, who has a nine dragons tattooed on him, (hence the title,) and whose special quality is throwing people through doors — oh, I mean Subtlety. You wouldn’t know it from the movie though.

It also turns out that this novel is popular in Japan, and in Japanese is called “Suikoden”. They’ve made millions of comic books, tv shows, and video games based on it.

Anyway, the movie is just totally great. Synopsis: Hero Tattoo beats up on all his teachers, gets in trouble, finally gets a teacher who can teach him something, gets in more trouble, meets up with a crazy Monk and some lady and then goes off to the end guy’s mountain stronghold. At some point his family is killed and he must get revenge. You know the drill. But we didn’t get to see the ending, due to an unfortunate incident about 10 years ago involving a glass of coke.

8 Comments

1. March 7th, 2003
    REPLY))

2. I don\’t think I\’ve ever seen the end of Hero Tattoo. I\’ve probably seen that movie well over 100 times, but it was so long ago I didn\’t even remember the title. But after it had played for a few minutes, I was pretty much able to recite the script from heart. What a great feeling.
    What a great movie.

1F

3. stevesteve
    March 7th, 2003
    REPLY))

4. There\’s some great lines. What was that one, \”I\’m so full of rage, that I want to kill as many of them as I can!\”

\”Teacher, behind you!\”

2F

5. March 9th, 2003
    REPLY))

6. man alive, you\’ve been a busy weblog maniac. Where did you find those pictures from hero tattoo? R U some sort of genius?

3F

7. stevesteve
    March 9th, 2003
    REPLY))

8. I went to Google and searched for \”hero tattoo with nine dragons\”. They were at the first result!

4F

9. warrez99warrez99
    June 7th, 2004
    REPLY))

10. was the game bandit kings of ancient china based on this movie??

5F

11. stevesteve
    June 7th, 2004
    REPLY))

12. Yes! Or, more specifically, the game and this movie were both based on the same book.

6F

13. mikemike
    October 24th, 2005
    REPLY))

14. My version of this film is terribly cut…I’m scared to order another version out of fear that that one will be cut as well.

7F

15. M.I.C.M.I.C.
    April 11th, 2007
    REPLY))

16. Yeah mine is cut to, too bad, I would of loved to actually see the end fight but its cut so bad its unwatchable.

8F